Thursday 23 August 2007

COLE-DEN OLDIE

So Andy Cole is going to Scumderland eh? Well good, he’ll do sod all to help them survive. This may come as a shock to some Newcastle fans, but, I never rated Cole, ever.

Granted he scored a bag-full of goals for us to get us promotion and also kept us in the Premier League during our preliminary season, but in my opinion Peter ‘The magician’ Beardsley put probably 90% of his chances on a plate and made ‘Andrew’ Cole. The only reason we kept Cole and sold David Kelly at the end of our promotion season was because Cole had pace and Kelly didn’t.
When Cole was at Newcastle in the Premier league, I used to compare him to the SAS at Blackburn, and if they (Shearer & Sutton) lost the ball, they would chase back and fight to win it back. Did Cole do that for us? No, I thought that he was a lazy player and if we lost the ball in the final third then he’d shrug his shoulders and wander back to the half way line and wait for Pedro to receive the ball again, and cast some majestic spells, while Cole basked in the glory.

Then KK sold him to Fergie, and Geordies from Tynemouth to Morpeth were crying into their McEwans. But not me, I was worried as to where the goals were going to come from but always thought Keegan has a master plan.

So Cole ‘the goal’ went to old Trafford and again he had a magician at Manchester, in the shape of Cantona, however, he also had Giggs, Beckham and co supplying the bullets so he was bound to score bagfuls again wasn’t he? Well you’d think so, but it seemed that he needed 7 chances to score 1 goal. The problem for everyone else in the league was that the other players at Man Utd would provide him with at least seven chances, so yeah, he scored goals. But I always used to say, Stevie Wonder would score goals playing up front in that team.

Any way he’s gone to Scumberland as their ‘big’ transfer and I really think that he may be the anchor on the chain that drags them to the bottom of the sea. He’s not going to be able to play every game as he’s too old and what SAFC need is a young fit, quality (if possible) player, that can put their foot on the ball and make things happen. Unfortunately without that player I feel they’re fucked. Oh well. Diddums.

I know some people might not agree with my thoughts on Cole, but I don’t care. What do I knowwww, I don’t know nothing. (Arctic Monkey’s style sing along there). Only my humble opinion.

No comments: